5 Reasons to Set Down the Phone and Set Out for Summer Adventure
Summer is here. Actually, summer is almost gone. As sad and as hard as that is to admit, it's true!
What have you been up to this summer? Have you been connecting to friends, family, and those around you? Hopefully, the answer to that question is, YES! As amazing as these in-person connections are, the truth is we often get caught up in technology, and forget how good it feels to have a real face-to-face conversation.
If you look back on the summer so far only to realize you spent most of it with your nose in your phone, it's not too late! Get that head and neck back in a comfortable position, and start connecting with people!
Before you say that your smartphone does connect you to people - stop. Connecting over the internet and connecting face-to-face, are two very different things. Trust us!
In case you need further convincing, check out these top 5 reasons why you should spend less time in front of your screen, and more time in front of familiar (and not-so-familiar) faces.
- Feel more alive. This might sound cliche, but it's true! When you start interacting with each another on a deep, meaningful level, you will start feeling....different. The thing is, even those long-winded conversations over Messenger, Snap Chat, and Twitter, are poor substitutes for looking someone in the eye and talking. Out loud. Try it. How you end up feeling will surprise you.
- Notice more. This isn't the most shocking result of putting down your phone, but it is important to at least point out. When your eyes aren't glued to your phone, they are free to roam and take in your surroundings. And who knows what's been waiting for you to discover? Maybe it's a beautiful tree on your walk to school, or maybe the color of your best friend's eyes. Seriously, it's amazing what we miss out on when we aren't actively participating in reality.
- Give Your Beaut(ie)-ful Eyes a Break! Too much screen time can tire out your eyes, even if you don't feel tired. Between tiny text on your phone and the constant glare from the screen, treat your eyes to a summer feast of seasonal beauties like the beach, a walk in nature, the trees in your yard, even the flowers at the grocery store. We all love pics, but instead of flashes and filters, let your eyes appreciate the REAL beauty in those things all around us.
- Get Better Beaut(ie) Sleep! Actually, better sleep makes us heath(ie), smart(ie), and funn(ie). Without enough sleep, all of our four corners of strength get a little dull. Scientific research has shown that using electronics too close to bedtime can interfere with your brain's natural sleep patterns, making it difficult for you to fall into a deep sleep, no matter how tired you are. So, turn off your phone an hour before bed and escape into your imagination between the pages of an amazing book. You'll be doing your brain a favor by ditching swipes and likes in favor of page flips.
- Defy expectations - show your real self(ie). Although we all rely on our phones way too much, your generation is getting the most flack for it. Some people have dubbed yours the “zombie apocalypse.” Take a look at this picture: It's sad, isn't it? Be honest,do you recognize yourself a little in this picture?