Give Self(lessly): 5 Ways to Donate More than Your Old Clothes this Summer
Give Self(lessly): 5 Ways to Donate more than Your Old Clothes this Summer
The STRONG self(ie) squad may be great at striking strong selfies, but our amazing community of girls is capable of so much more than clicking and sharing their awesome pics.
August is here, and summer vacation is winding down. Here you are, left with a choice: Let the rest of your summer slip away without meaning, or join the STRONG self(ie) squad in making a difference in your community.
There are so many people that can benefit from your generosity, not only during the holiday season, but all year round. You don't have to have piles of money sitting around to make a difference, either. Keeping the [four corners of self(ie) strength] in mind, you can give self(lessly) all summer long.
Donating your old clothes to Goodwill is a good start, but there are plenty of other ways you can join the STRONG self(ie) squad in giving (selflessly) this summer break.
- Spruce Up the Neighborhood - Whether it's pulling weeds for your elderly neighbor, or mowing the lawn for a single mom down the street - there are plenty of people who need help right in your own “backyard.” If you see someone struggling, or who looks like they could use an extra set of hands, jump in and offer to help. Your self(less) gesture won't just make your neighbor's day, it will leave you feeling pretty great as well.
- Put Together Care Packages - No matter where in the country you live, there are people who are struggling to make ends meet. Gather a group of friends, head to the dollar store, and spend the afternoon creating care packages to pass out to those who are less fortunate in your area. Small hygiene items and snacks are a great starting off point. Include a personal message to brighten their day, and talk to a parent about finding out where you can deliver them.
- Promote Healthy Eating - Being health(ie) is one of the [four corners of self(ie) strength]. What better way to develop that corner of your life than by learning about and promoting healthy eating? HAPPY is a non-profit group that is led by youth and equips young people to take their health into their own hands. Check it out for tips for healthy eating, how to talk to your family about what it means to eat right, and for ways you can help your community and school. It's an awesome organization that you can use to give selflessly to those around you, and be your STRONG health(ie) self at the same time.
- Become a Tutor - When it comes to building up your STRONG self(ie), you are a real smart(ie). Share your knowledge by tutoring kids in your neighborhood or at your local library. Kids who are struggling in areas you excel will learn a lot from you, and a lot about giving selflessly of their time and talents.
- Walk Dogs - Chances are, your town has at least one animal shelter that is in need of dog walkers. Can you think of a better way to spend a Monday afternoon than getting some serious canine love from a dog that is waiting on his furever home? I know I can't. Call around and ask when you can stop in, and spend time each week developing your health(ie) side by walking foster dogs around town.
These are just a FEW ideas to get you thinking about how to develop your STRONG self(ie) this summer by donating your time while building up your [four corners of self(ie) strength].
Oh, and don't forget to take selfies that showcase what it means to give selflessly and inspire others to do the same.